Wednesday, April 29, 2009

41 is the number of the day


To celebrate the birthday of my most favorite guy....in no specific order, here are 41 reasons why I love him so...


1. He IS the smartest person I know. It is amazing what knowledge is inside that brain.

2. On our 2nd date, he came to get me carrying a single red rose and sporting some snazzy red-striped tube socks...pulled up OVER his knees. A fashion icon he was....and still is!

3. Continuing with the theme in #2, he mows the lawn in khaki cut-offs, tennis shoes and navy blue work socks...and the best part....could care LESS what anyone thinks about it.

4. He just doesn't sweat the small stuff...and helps me everyday to put life and priorities into clearer perspective.


5. Every afternoon, he comes home and literally and figuratively leaves work at the door and is available and present...100% for his family.



6. He latches on to random commercial jingles and sings them ALL THE TIME...he has had a particular attachment to "LA LA LA LA LA LA TJ MAXX" and "Five....Five....Five Dollar Foot- long"

7. When he tells a story, you can BET it will have a few sound effects in it...and the best part, Winston got this trait too. The Grant boys are sound effect KINGS!!

8. He knows all my crap....every single bit of it....and loves me anyway!

9. He rips off his shirt and slams it to the ground for dramatic effect at the beginning of all family wrestling matches...and now the children do it too!!


10. He nicknamed Lilly "Crazy Hair" when her hair is wet after a bath.

11. He lets the kids pick out the family pumpkin every year...no matter how heavy....no matter how imperfect...their choice...end of story.
12. He loves The Office, Old School, Wedding Crashers and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

13. He loves my homemade tomato sauce.

14. He does things like this.....



15. When I hear any song by The Outfield, I think of him....windows down, music blasting in that gray 2-door citation!!

16. He assures me every single day that Winston is a normal little boy.....I do wonder most days!

17. From the moment Winston took his first breath, he stepped into the role of Daddy and has been an amazing one ever since
18. He loves his Mama's fried chicken and mashed potatoes and she, in turn, loves his interest in red wine!


19. He is super duper handy....plant a seed for a project and you'll have yourself a blueprint within 24 hours! (For proof, come visit my new laundry room in about 6 more weeks)

20. He is very responsible and practical in matters of money....he keeps us on track and holds me accountable (sometimes this part isn't so fun!).
21. He took off the "family banker" hat when we went to Disney...he let me plan a 7-day trip to Disney that wasn't cheap and if spending that kind of money stressed him out, he didn't let me see it a single moment. It was without a doubt the best 7 days of our life as a family.



22. He researches as much as possible before large purchases. He is NOT an impulse kind of guy.

23. He can fix practically ANYTHING...see #1.

24. He loves football.....and lets us watch it during dinner on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights during football season.

25. Referring to 24, he set the family rule when Winston was born and hasn't deviated from it...NO TV during family meals.

26. He gets up with the children most Saturday mornings and cooks their favorite breakfasts.

27. Did I mention he is the smartest person I know?? I think this warrants making the list 2 times because he really is that smart!

28. He has entered and trained for 2 mountain biking races.

29. He looks so cute in his biking gear....sort of like Lance Armstrong....long and lean and cute as a button in those tight shorts!!

30. He takes pride in what we have....takes excellent care of our cars, our house and most of all, US.

31. He loves to spend long days at the beach.



32. He kills snakes DEAD and always hides the grin he's fighting when I INSIST that we have to move every single time we have snake sighting!

33. He is the perfect balance to my irrational, impulsive, emotional personality.

34. He coached Winston's flag football team last season. I love that Winston will always have that memory.




35. He learned how to make gravy like his Mama. On Thanksgiving day, this is his project.

36. He's not the most social person ever, but he puts a smile on his face and goes with me to whatever I have planned for our family.

37. He has stopped trying to solve the "puzzle" that I can be and just embraces the ebb and flow of my emotions.

38. He loves pretzel chips and hummus for his after-work snack.

39. He doesn't have a sweet tooth....and I always get to pick the dessert at restaurants.

40. He makes coffee for me every morning.

41. He asked...I said YES and I get to have him for (at least) the next 41 years!!


So, happy happy birthday Joseph E...I love you more than I can explain and am grateful that God made you....just for me!!





Happy 41st Birthday Daddy!!


Your family loves you like crazy!


1 comment:

Linda Azevedo said...

Happy Birthday, Joe!! I know Ang and kids did you up right! I love your list, Ang…you are an amazing wife and mother. I hope y’all had a HAPPY…HAPPY Day!!

Post a Comment