Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I get knocked down....but I get up again....

So off into the wild blue yonder Joe went today....well, by yonder I mean D.C. for a 3 day business trip. It's a good thing really - his company was awarded a large contract which is always nice for a little job security so we can't complain.


So anyway, as a result I am flying solo with all the parenting while Joe is away; which includes delivery to football practice. Tonight was the first time I've seen that boy of ours in full uniform playing real, tackle, football. Wow...it's some hard-hitting stuff...even with 7-8 year olds!!

Winston is probably in the category of the smallest 2-3 players on the team (refer to Exhibit A) Some of the boys TOWER over him. Considering he just made the age cutoff by 2 weeks and as a result, is playing with 2nd and 3rd graders, many of whom are playing their 2nd or 3rd year in the league, we have to expect a learning curve and the growth curve too. Even still, to watch my little guy try and tackle boys almost twice his size...well it's a bit unsettling for this Mama...and I love me some football...just as long as it's somebody else getting pummeled!

So I watched...and winced....as Winston drove hard towards his target and during many plays, the opposing player would stop Winston dead in his tracks. It's physics people....50 lbs up against 90lbs....well, you get the picture.

Exhibit A:


Fortunately enough, Winston does NOT get that....a single bit. He still charges full speed ahead and sometimes he gets flattened; other times he stays up, digs in and fights til the end. Joe had been telling me that he is tough and determined and for sure I saw both tonight.


During one play, Winston managed to sneak into a hole at the line and get to the quarterback in time to strip the ball from him. GREAT STUFF. It took a minute for the coaches to figure out what he did!! Finally Coach Shawn started laughing and yelled "That kid is NUTS". It was good stuff.

So we'll load up and head back to the practice field tomorrow night too...as unsettling as those hard hits look, I think I just ought to get used to it - barring anything unforseen, I think this family will be spending many nights at the football practice field.

Go Winston Go! Your determination and effort sure make me proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment