Thursday, September 17, 2009

Packer Defeat was still Sweet

This week has been another crazy one for this household....but I couldn't miss a post about Winston's first game as a Sertoma Packer. We played our first full game on Monday night against the Sertoma Raiders.


For those of you just interested in the score....we lost 14-0. We had some great highlights (more on that in a minute) but in my opinion, we looked rough. Probably first game jitters and first game CONFUSION on many plays ...hey, we have to start somewhere. Joe was super busy on the sidelines helping with player substitutions; Lilly was a trooper as usual. She found some friends to play with and hung in there for a long night at the field.

I was in charge of audio -visual and in a nutshell, that spells D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R for me and anyone who has a hankering to view the video footage from the game. We used the tripod because a steady hand is NOT one of my skill sets; but frankly, I don't think it helped much. As much as I like to think I can contribute in that way to our team --I can't. For selfish reasons, I am MISERABLE behind a video camera....I much prefer to see the action and keep my eyes glued to #17 the whole time he's on the field....so I am hopeful we'll find someone who is better at it next game. We might end up putting some footage on the blog but Joe has to check out my handiwork first....oh mercy, I am sure it's going to be BAD. Don't hold your breath!

So back to the game....2 highlights in my opinion....and of course it's my blog so my opinion matters here!!! And because it's my blog, my highlights...well of course they are directly related to the amazing little #17.

First, he squirted right through the offensive line and SACKED THEIR QUARTERBACK!!! It was great great stuff....all by himself, he stopped a Raider play dead in its tracks!!

Second and really, the MOST important one...

Another Packer Dad walked up to me during the game, looked me in the eye and said this...


"I tell you this, Winston plays with more heart than anyone out on that field"


I could have wept right there folks....it was music to this Mama's ears. I know this....but for another parent to know this....well...what to say other than...WOW.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

win or lose....

at the end of the day, what really matters....

is giving something everything you've got....

and well, #17.....

he leaves NOTHING on that field when the final whistle blows

and while I know losing can be a bitter pill to swallow for that competitive little boy....

for me, his effort and his determination makes him every bit a winner, no matter the score.

I love you buddy....more every single day...win or lose....

No comments:

Post a Comment