Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tap Shoes and Cleats...it's how we roll

After school activities are in full swing around here. Football has been running at full speed for a few weeks now and yesterday we added ballet/tap to the mix. We got reacquainted with our Tuesday after-school routine and it was nice but oh my, our day ended after 9:30...FOR US ALL. Yikes...can't do that on too many school nights!!

We dusted off last year's dancing duds and pulled her hair back for a whirl around the dance studio. Lilly was thrilled to finally have sufficient "princess hair" to make one pony tail. This has been her personal mission since January of last year when she decided on her last stacked bob haircut - it's been a million ways of scraggly since then but finally, we've got a nicely trimmed longer bob that is well on its way to full on PRINCESS HAIR as dear Lilly calls it. I digress...

So we dropped Lilly off for some moving and grooving and in predictable fashion, Winston's Tuesday Treat of choice....ice cream from Guerins.....and almost all of my Cherry Smash too. He enjoyed his treats and we did homework in the car. After ballet, we raced home and re-loaded for football night.

The Sertoma Packers had their first scrimmage game last night in preparation for their first game this weekend. As it was the first night I went to practice, it was very....hard-hitting and as a result, hard for this Mama to watch at times!! Once again, I know I am his Mother and I am supposed to be convinced he is the BEST football player on the planet but folks, the boy - well he really is good!! I am always amazed at the amount of guts, grit, determination and confidence that's packed inside quite a small boy. He will NEVER be the biggest....EVER...well, unless he plays in the Bantam League when he's 16.....but ya'll -- the boy has the biggest heart of any one out there. Just watch for that little #17....he's a force to be reckoned with.


He plays at the defensive guard position and once he got his turn on the field - he played EVERY SINGLE defensive play we had -- you know why....because the kid NEVER EVER gives up on a play - he gets tackled and somehow he finds a way to squirm out from under the tackler and runs right towards the action. Determination has to come from the somewhere deep inside - I don't think it's taught - one either has it or they don't. When it comes to this sport, Winston has it....and hopefully, it will make up for his lack of size. He is always where the ball is -- he is just plain fun to watch....well except for the one time I looked up and saw his little body underneath a pile of ENORMOUS boys...and well, that wasn't so fun for me to watch. I think I even yelled something like "GET OFF OF MY BOY"....hey, I am a fan but a Mother first!!

Just one more memory I will cherish always....I never get tired of seeing those little ones of mine have fun doing something they just love. We just need to work on an earlier bedtime!!

Go Kiddoes Go!! Mommy and Daddy could not be more proud of you!




No comments:

Post a Comment