Monday, December 21, 2009

Just a Few of My Favorite Things (Christmas Edition)

It's never hard to list my favorite things about the season. My lists are usually hard to narrow down. This year is a little different....

It's like a veil is over my eyes and things aren't quite as bright....not as joyful....my mind always returns to my Dad and all that he and Mom are faced with as a new year approaches that will likely be filled with chemo treatments, Dr visits and lots of time recovering and praying.

They certainly don't want it this way for me...they'd want me to enjoy every thing about the season that I always enjoy....and so....even though it will require alot more effort on my part...I am going to try to make this a Christmas full of happy smiles and grateful hearts just like all the years before. And the first step is to change my focus, even if only for a little while, to those things that bring me joy.

And these are just a few things that make me smile with gratitude...

Decorating beautiful sugary creations with friends....because really, is there anything a pile of sprinkles, sugar and butter can't fix??







And how artistic a certain someone's cookie creations get with each passing year....



Time spent in the kitchen with 2 peeps I love so much....it seems our kitchen is always in full swing this time of year....


So we can make plates like this to share with those we love and appreciate all year long...



And gazing at some of my favorite Christmas treasures....most of which came from my favorite store on earth - The Gingerbread House. It's in my hometown and although the name implies simply CHRISTMAS offerings....this wonderful store offers everything from gourmet foods and wine to all things holiday. Their items are very unique and always make me feel we have a little bit of VA here in the Lowcountry.


I'm a sucker for new ornaments....




I love having pictures of Christmas seasons in past years....



Really is there anything else to say here...the greatest gift of all....




This one is new this year -- came from our Autumn Tea Room at church....I do love a cute reindeer this time of year and now no matter where we might find ourselves each Christmas, we'll have a little piece of SC in our home...it's made from a palm tree frond.





This little guy came home from a business trip with Joe from Munich Germany and is a limited edition Nutcracker. We love him...his name is Santa Mac Nic.




A mini version of the beautiful nativity set my Mom has. She bought this for me my first Christmas out of college. I love this so much.



And what's not to love about this beautiful angel right here having some birthday cake in honor of Jesus at Sunday School.



And to repeat something one of my favorite bloggers wrote the other day...if only my mailbox was like this year round!! How fun to see the faces of family and friends this time of year. I've got to put my thinking cap on for a new approach next year....have this ribbon completely full as well as another card holder full....any ideas for a fun creative way to show ALL the pictures??



And yes here she is again but I can't ever forget this...even though her preschool class didn't officially have Pajama/Polar Express day this year. The girl was rather insistent on the PJ's and piggy tails for school this past Thursday. She was very specific as to shoes, ribbons in her hair and the pajama selection. She was one of very few dressed for bed that day but she was definitely the cutest!!



The look in Winston's eyes when Santa gave him an extra candy cane to give to his best friend Hampton. He said "Wow Mommy - he IS Santa!!"....worth every minute spent waiting in line for a visit with the man of the hour.



Here's to a Happy Christmas.....we certainly wish that for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment