Saturday, August 21, 2010

Houston, We Have A Kindergartener.....


We kicked off what promises to be a milestone school year.

Beginning a new school year is always a
study in multi-tasking if you ask me and when you factor in PTA responsibilities, the "To Do" list reaches a length that is daunting for sure.


We had everything times 2....2 sets of forms to complete, 2 Meet the Teacher events, school shoe shopping for 2 pairs of feet,
and lunch planning for 2 very different palettes.....we managed our first week just beautifully with only a few tears and those came from Mommy!!


So first, our Kindergartner...


Last Monday, the baby of our house grabbed her lunchbox and backpack and walked into her new school like she owned the place. This is not surprising considering the time she's already spent the
re over the last few years. More on the comforts of Beech Hill later....

I struggled the first day to let her go...she'
s used to preschool and all the structure that comes with it but it still seemed a year too soon for all of this with my baby girl.



The tears came when I first saw her name written at her seat...the reality set in...big school was here for her.It seems to me that ti
me takes a different pace when real school starts....first Kindergarten and in the blink of an eye, we'll be shopping for her Senior Prom. I am excited for all that she has to look forward too but it's scary to slowly let go of the tight grip we've had for these first 5 years. She seems much more attached to me that Winston ever was - making my heart a bit more tender this time around. With lots of prayer and faith, every grade will bring both fun and challenges and we'll do our best to navigate things as they come.


So...back to our littlest Beacon....




Lilly is in KC with Mrs. Canty and Mrs. McCl
ain - without any doubt they were my top choice for her. Lilly has very different needs than Winston did as a new Beacon and I think the Canty/McClain combination is perfectly suited for my girl. She already loves them both; she sits next to her neighborhood buddy Sebastian, and frequently talks about how much fun centers and carpet time are each day.

She had a wonderful first week and aside from being a bit tired at night (Mommy too!) she woke up ready to hit the path for school. She got 2 "Caught Being Good" certificates that also came with trips to the coveted Treasure Box. She is going to do GREAT and really there was never any doubt!


I am looking forward to being the Room Mom for KC - a shared responsibility with 2 other Moms, one of which I know very well so we are going to have some big time fun with our KC Class!!




Next up our 2nd grader....even more difficult to beli
eve...he was just 3 years old, wasn't he?


Winston has Mrs. Havens and as much as we know the vast majority of the teachers at BHES, she is one we don't know qui
te as well.I put 100% trust in the Administrative team to place Winston where he would be successful and their choice for him was clear - Mrs.Havens was the teacher for him.


She is very structured and I've heard from many par
ents that she is fantastic with her students, has next to ZERO discipline problems and gets her students fully prepared for the rigors of elementary grades (3rd-5th). I love that she has raised 3 boys of her own -- I feel like she must understand the riddles of testosterone in a way that not all teachers can and for my boy...who is ALL boy...this has to be a plus!

She prefe
rs to manage her classroom alone and doesn't need much in the way of parental support IN her classroom. We've never had a teacher like this and I'd be lying if I said this won't be a bit of an adjustment for this Mama who likes to be involved but frankly the hard truth of the matter....this is WINSTON'S 2nd grade year, not mine and I have to "get over myself", focus on him and trust that Winston is exactly where he needs to be. My needs don't really enter into this equation...an important notion that God has been reminding me.


So on Monday, Winston rolled into 2nd grade as if he'd been going all summer. He is learning independence and responsibility
as he has also been charged with keeping a protective eye on his little sister too!! He's up for the task...


He came home his first day exclaiming he had
the "Best Teacher Ever" and hasn't skipped a beat. Mrs. Havens sent a note home yesterday describing Winston as a very considerate and intelligent young man. Music to his Mama's ears!!

Daddy and his favorite girl


Ready for the walk up the path to start a new year at the Beech...



We had our annual "Back to School" driveway par
ty for all of our neighborhood friends right after school ended on Monday. The heat and humidity were really quite miserable so we cut our cookie cakes, poured cups of Crystal Light and congratulated our friends in record time but it was still fun and it kept the tradition alive and well.

Lining Up for cookies....Ms. Holly couldn't cut and serve fast enough!



Big Girl after her first full day as a Beacon!

Homework was thankfully light our first week - we worked on earlier bedtimes, quiet and calm mornings and what on EARTH I am going to do each day from 7:10 until 2:05.....I'm SURE I'll think of something!!

Meantime, here's to a fantastic first week of school for 2 of Beech Hill's most precious Beacons.

SHINE ON W.E. and Lou Lou!!
Mommy and Daddy couldn't be more proud if we tried!!



No comments:

Post a Comment