Sunday, May 30, 2010

The End of a Very Sweet Chapter


I remember it clearly, it was our move-in day here in SC.I was very pregnant sitting on the front porch in a beach chair watching the moving company unload our belongings; our new neighbor walked over and introduced herself. She noticed a 2 year old Winston running around, had to have noticed my pregnant belly and at some point asked about our plans for preschools in the area. Preschool was the last thing on my mind at the time but I remember she spoke so highly of the one her children attended as well as the church in which it was affiliated. I made a mental note to investigate at the proper time.

It wasn't long before I made some calls and visits and without any doubt, I knew Bethany CDC was the one for us. During the first phone call, the director asked me my plans for Winston's entrance into Elementary School and urged me to consider waiting that extra year due to his August birthday. She told me it was one of the greatest gifts I could give a boy with an August birthday -- and she was ever so right about that. We were wait listed but by the time registration rolled around, we enrolled without incident and were excited to become a Bethany CDC family.

The welcoming, loving arms of Bethany wrapped around us quickly and haven't let go since. From the beginning of our time at the CDC, I have been amazed at just how much those teachers LOVE the every single one of those children they teach -- it never ever seemed like a job to them, always a privilege. We've had different styles and different personalities in the teachers we've been assigned and all of them were gifts to our children and our family at just the right time.

I have so many fond, sweet memories from Bethany - one of which happened this past year. One morning I got a call from Vicki, the director. Lilly was running a high fever, felt awful and needed to come home early. When I arrived to pick her up, I walked into the office to find my sweet little girl curled up in Vicki's lap. Vicki had stopped what she was doing and was holding Lilly in her arms, rocking her until I could arrive. I could have cried watching the tender loving care my daughter was receiving by someone who could have easily put her down on the rug for a nap until I could get there. This is just one example of what Bethany gave us over these last 4 years.

We made some wonderful friendships that will last far beyond our years at the CDC with children, other Bethany parents and teachers and staff. Both of our children children learned so much while they were there.As parents, Joe and I learned to cherish the innocence and freedom of childhood....many of the gifts will last a lifetime.

Our last days at the CDC were bittersweet - we are sad to be leaving our beloved preschool but so thankful for the gifts of our time there. We'll stay very close to the CDC because of our church and the wonderful Christian people we met along the way but no doubt, we will miss our daily trips to a most special place.
We could not have asked for a more wonderful place to introduce our children to school life than Bethany.We are so grateful.


Field Day Relays- Run Lilly Run
Enjoying a popsicle treat after Field Day events. Lilly and her sweet friend, McCoy.
5 day 4's - Mrs Shabeldeen and Mrs Harris

Last Day as a Preschooler - growing up way too fast

Two sweet girls - Lilly and Hannah

Final Sing a Long at Bethany
Blessing before the Picnic - I love that she knows exactly what to do

They don't get any better than Mrs Walters - we had her for Lunch Bunch. One wonderful lady.

Mrs Harris and Lillly

Mrs Shabeldeen

No comments:

Post a Comment