Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lakeside

If you read my last post, it's easy to understand why we love our church. Our 4 wonderful years at the CDC only scratches the surface of the blessings we've received from Bethany. I teach 4 year old Sunday School, I have taken on a big role in our Vacation Bible School that is coming up, I attend a weekly Bible Study with some fine women and we have met some extraordinary families during our time as Bethany members. One such family has stolen our hearts this past year.
I had seen her in the halls of the CDC over the years and recognized her in my first Bible Study a few years ago. I remember thinking she was really pretty and from what I could hear in her conversations with other women, she had a big love for Jesus, her family and next on the list, a big love for animals.....all kinds. We didn't really get to know each other very well during that first study....it was one that followed a year or so later...

It took me a few studies before I mustered up the courage to share much about myself....this is probably surprising to those who know me well but my knowledge of the Bible seemed limited and I was intimidated by all the theology that surrounded me so I kept my mouth closed and my ears opened. Finally, one Friday, I spoke up and shared a little bit about myself - most particularly that I was adopted. When I finished, I looked across the table at this woman who had tears welling in her eyes and she spoke....she shared that she was the mother of 2 adopted children and 1 biological. She talked about her compassion for adoptees and the "lack of control" in the circumstances that most often shaped the life of an adoptee.

In an instant I felt a connection with her and I felt her compassion for me. From that point on, she was no longer a Bible Study acquaintance or a fellow church member, she was my friend - a friend who understood as best she could, some of the challenges I had faced as an adopted child.
So....that's the back story....fast forward 12 months...
I have grown quite close to Kristi and I feel a kinship to her that I can't really describe. The icing on the cake is that as wonderful as Kristi is, her children, husband and animals (she has lots!) are just as wonderful. They are truly one of the most generous families we have ever met. They love the Lord, they open their doors to complete strangers and give until they cannot give anymore. I can't believe our good fortune to have become a part of their lives and they ours this past year. Kristi and I have lots in common, one of which is a heavy involvement at our children's schools - she and I both serve on the PTA Boards at our schools and have lots to talk about just on this topic alone!

Because of our crazy schedules and demands at home, we don't get to see alot of each other. That's changed recently as school began winding down and schedules have eased. A few weeks ago, we spent the weekend with them at the lake and it was nonstop fun for all. Winston and Lilly absolutely loved it- playing with their new friends, swimming, tubing, jumping off the dock, fishing, catching frogs...all of it. Kristi's oldest daughter, Sara, has stolen my heart -- she is adopted and I see so much of myself in her....I can't really explain why but I just feel a connection to her. All 3 of their children are wonderful, well behaved and easy to be around. They even put up with wild and whoolly Winston!! It was just a lovely time with some lovely people.

We've sure been counting our blessings these days and are so thankful for a family who has stolen our hearts.
Swimming
Sweet friends
Striking the pose
Loving that lake water
Waiting for a bite
Caught a baby turtle
Awesome...she is....
Boys on the boat
Tubing
Love the expressions...so much fun!
S'mores after dark
Day 2 - jet ski
Not bad for first attempt on the kneeboard -
Daredevil for sure...
Happy Lake Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment